The PEOPLE of MUDUG REGION in PUNTLAND
Subject: The Current Situation in Puntland
To: The Traditional Leaders and Clan chiefs of Puntland Residence
All the Regions of Puntland Offices
Interpeace Nairobi, Kenya
UN Offices in Puntland Their Offices
The Federal Government of Somalia Mogadishu/Somalia
Puntland State of Somali Garowe
Iam a democrat/I believe in Democracy
And the constitution is in place
I’ve established y political part
Anyone wishing others
I’m gonna establish for them anyway
No other Utterance is allowed though
And that’s my rule
Anything against is a case to answer
People who oppose it I will detain
Complaints I don’t allow
And I have shut down the radios and media
The person making the above arguments is not General siayad Barre in Mogadishu in 1970. It is faroole in Garowe, Puntland in September 201S.
Respected Leaders of Puntland, High Officials of the Somali Federal Governmant and the International Community Institutions both in and outside Puntland;
To all of you I submit warm greetings.
Our intention in writing to all of you is to make available to you the discussion points and conclusions of a large conference in Galkaio attended by traditional elders; learned members from the civic society; intellectuals and policians all by birth and residence from Mudug. The discussion of the conference centred on:
- the complicated and difficult situation that Puntland is going through today
- the excesses and the abuses of Puntland’s current Leader
- the signed Constitution that has been left to rot over the past 4 years and the democratisation principles and steps that are speedily getting set in place with only 3 months of his mandate remaining
- The regime’s complete disregard and evident disdain for anything that is to do transparency, accountability and democracy for the past 4 years and
- That the only objective behind all these political parties and democratisation process is for Faroole and his gang to stay in power for as long as he can get away with
- And, as a direct result of all the above, that Puntland might be destroyed by civil war in 3 months’ time, as happened in 2001.
After long and thorough discussion only the above issues and due consideration of all the adverse implications of the dictatorial tendencies of the regime in power, that conference agreed that the people of Mudug cannot:
- Give in to blackmail and deceitful designs in the form of multi-party systems and one-person one-vote ideals that Puntland is prepared and ready for
- go along with the oppression of the people of Puntland, with threats of summary detention and organised elimination of anybody who shows dissent
- accept the closure of media and broadcasting radios, so that Faroole’s evil activities remain hidden
- The lack of security in the State that have become part of life since Faroole assumed power in Puntland.
With all these factors in mind the conference has made the following conclusions and decisions that Mudug will adhere to regardless of Faroole’s position:
- While democracy and transparent elections is accepted to be the best way get good governance and was (and still are) what the peaceful people have been looking forward to, the current administration has lost the opportunity to set in place all the requirements for democratic elections to held in Puntland. Therefore current disorganised, confused knee-jerk decisions and rules that the regime is hastily making are just wasteful exercises designed to deceive the people of Puntland and to extend their mandate. As such, we will not accept, whatever the consequences and dangerous implications, Mr. Faroole’s stay in power in Puntland even for one day. On the 8th of January, a new administration should be in place to restart the journey towards openness; transparency; rule of law and listening government in Puntland that accepts that the people are the masters. In other words, an administration that is everything that Faroole is not that leads to functioning democracy and transparent elections.
- The conference calls the regime to respect its people and stick to system under which it was elected and the mandate that they were given. It should clear to Mr. Faroole that if he himself deliberately steps over the rule of law, every son and daughter of Puntland have the same right – i.e. not to observe the law, hence chaos and civil war.
- The Current Parliament mandate ends on the 31st October 2012 and it should be dissolved immediately after that date. In the event that this doesn’t happen, Mr. Faroole should be clear in his mind that his government and the sitting parliament after that date are illegal and that we will consider and deal with it as such. We will give in to one more year of Faroole.
- To all the International Institutions and particularly to Inter-peace, which supports the “Democratisation Project” in Puntland, to withhold all funding towards this bogus democratic ideals and elections campaign and energetic activities designed to imply that he is serious about them. process he dissolution of the Parliament with We have brought to Inter-peace’s attention previously in writing that this is not the case as certified to b the fact that for the nearly 4 years in power, Mr. Faroole has dealt anything to do with democracy, transparency and liberty for the people of Puntland with pure contempt. It’s only now that he has only 3 months to remain in his seat, that he is making all the right noises. That only shows his arrogance and unashamed lust for power to destroy what has survived his 4 years of terror in Puntland.
- To bring to the attention of the Federal Government of Somalia to follow the situation of the State of Puntland. The Somali people of Puntland are under the clutches of a regime that has destroyed the social fabric of the people of Puntland. The federal government should be clear that they bear some responsibility if Puntland ends up in civil war after the new year. The people of Puntland look for the federal government to start steps to put pressure on Faroole to dissuade him from his current path, which would only lead to destruction.
The real feelings of the people of Puntland can only be indicated by the peaceful and passionate demonstrations in almost all the regions and towns that the Illegal “Elections Commission” visited to sell the ideas of their boss. The demonstrators in all these towns made it clear that they don’t expect anything of worth from the regime that has destroyed everything that has made Puntland.
The best and most accurate indicator of what the people of Puntland think of the current regime and what is most likely to happen if Mr. Faroole persists in his current thinking, which is that he can do whatever he wants, is how the residents of Qardho and Rako made it plain to the Chairman of the “Elections Commission”, Mr. Mohamed Hassan Barre that they don’t want him or his boss in their midst, let alone hear his message.
The Deputy Chair, Mr. Barhad Ali Salah, for fear meeting the same experiences as his Chairman didn’t bother to try to sell Faroole’s deceitful programs, Commission member, Mr. Cisman Mohamud Hagi Hassan has been chased out of jarriban and Balli-Busle districts of Mudug Region.
In Conclusion, it’s hereby made clear that we will not have Mr. Faroole to illegall extend his mandate. We hope that for once, he listensto the people of Puntland.
Thank you all and we wish you best regards.
On behalf of all the attendees of the conference,
Dr. Mohamed Yuusuf